Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas!

How good is it to be on a break! A lot's been happening lately - it's nice to finally sit back and relax. Work has been especially busy. I've taken on a new role as a System Architect, so i get to have some influence on the design of a network, although i still get to keep my hands dirty performing research and investigations in the lab. It's the perfect job for me right now - i'm loving it, even though i've been thrown in the deep end :-) As a side project i spent some time developing a knowledge and process database for our department. I chose MediaWiki for this purpose, with Serendipity providing the front-end news page. Both of these are sitting on top of XAMPP (Apache web server, MySql database and PHP) installed on an XP machine, although eventually it will may move to linux or solaris. Hopefully my work colleagues will embrace the new system when i officially unleash it in the new year. Our company has merged with Lucent Technolgies - a significant player in america, which incorporates Bell-Labs. Not much change for us in Sydney, apart from a new name (Alcatel-Lucent) and new brand and colours (Purple!). That reminds me, i had a whirlwind trip to Texas for a Microsoft IPTV course a couple of months back. All i can say is it's great to live in Sydney :-)

Outside of work i've been keeping myself busy with touch footy on Wednesday nights, on top of my usually lunchtime soccer games during the week. My right knee is preventing me from keeping fully fit, so i only get out for a run every second weekend, or so. Some time ago i set up a web server at home for my video productions: VirtualWebby Media Studio. There's not much on there at the moment - i was more proud of the fact that i set up a linux system.

A couple of months back we saw a couple of good shows. The Boy from Oz was sensational. Hugh Jackman's performance was really impressive. We also made it out for The Living End at Luna Park's Big-Top, with End of Fashion supporting. End of Fashion were great live, and after this performance i really became addicted to their album! Most recently i can't get enough of the Red Hot Chili Peppers latest double CD.

Kerri has begun her Ocean Swims season, with swims at Balmain and Bilgola. She's thinking of doing the Hawks Nest Ocean Swim early January, and we'll be up there again during the Australia Day week for some fun in the sun!

Hope you are all well and enjoy your Christmas!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle M said...

Hey, I just checked this morning thinking surely Craig will update for Christmas at least! I guess I was a little early...

Merry Christmas from the Moss family ... I suppose I'd better get a Christmas post from Genghis

Sunday, December 24, 2006 9:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home